Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.

Albert Camus

I love Autumn. Almost as much as I love summer. After I went Apple picking on Monday I was looking for ways to use them up and I immediately wondered how I could incorporate them into my favorite butternut squash soup. You'll have to bear with me because I don't really follow a recipe here. The first thing I did was preheat the oven and roast 2 heads of garlic. There is no better smell in the world (well maybe a new baby) then roasted garlic!! It adds such a lovely flavour to everything too!

Roasted garlic

While the garlic was roasting I sliced 1 butternut squash in half length wise, scooped out the seeds and drizzled with olive oil. I roasted it in the oven until it was tender. While that was all roasting and smelling so good, I heated up my dutch oven with olive oil and sauteed 1 onion and 2 stalks of celery until golden and soft. Then I added in a few shakes of my favourite curry powder, some sea salt and some freshly ground pepper. Add in 4 cups of stock. When the squash and garlic are done pull them out of the oven to cool. Scrape the squash flesh out with a spoon and add to soup. Squeeze the soft roasted garlic out of the skins and into the soup also. Puree the soup until smooth and taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. That's it :)
Butternut Squash Soup


Wellness Tip ~ Every morning when you wake up poor yourself a 10 ounce glass of water and squeeze half a lemon into it. Drink this before you do anything else. Lemon and water have a clarifying effect on your body. Lemon is a very alkalizing fruit. It is even more important to do this if you drink coffee as coffee is acidifying. Lemon is one of a handful of foods that enhances your liver's detoxifying pathway. Lemon stimulates your liver to produce bile and bile is a carrier of toxins.

6 comments:

Sandra Lundy September 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

the soup sounds wonderful and is one that i'll definitely be making very soon...with the roasted garlic - yum!

Kevin, Leah & Bodhi October 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

We made both this soup and the potato one. They were both simple to make but bursting with tastiness. Thanks so much Sebrina! You helped relieve a little of my "WHAT DO I MAKE TONIGHT!!!??" anxiety. I can't thank you enough.
Any great pumpkin pie recipes? I am going to attempt my very first one this year.

Anonymous December 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

This looks delicious! I'll add it to my squash recipes.

Rebecca September 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

Hi Sebrina- Just wondering if you also added apples to this recipe? At the beginning of the post you talked about adding apples to your butternut squash soup but I don't see it in the directions....

Sebrina Wilson September 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

oh yes their is apple in this, lol. Not sure what the heck I was doing when I wrote this. I usually put in 1 apple pealed and chopped at the same time as the onions.

Anonymous June 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM  

Wonderful post but I was wondering if you could write a
litte more on this subject? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Kudos!

My webpage nikotin

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP